- When it comes to people using Form Builder to create or edit forms, often referred to as form authors, who can create or edit which form?
- When it comes to the end-users of the forms created with Form Builder, who can access which form?
- Permissions are role-based: access isn’t given based on usernames, but on roles. For instance, for Form Builder permissions (the first case above), you could be defining that only users with the role
financecan access forms in the app
- Users and roles are not defined in Form Builder or Orbeon Forms. Instead, you configure the container (say, Tomcat), in which you’re running Orbeon to leverage your existing authentication system, say users and roles defined in LDAP. And if you don’t already have users and roles defined somewhere, Tomcat lets you define them is a simple XML file (
- Access control to Form Builder itself is done through a property file:
form-builder-permissions.xml. There, you can define which roles have access to which apps, and which forms. This is most often used to partition your forms into group, and give people access to a specific group. For instance, a local government might have different departments, say police, social services, parks, housing… and would like to keep the forms for each department separate. So they will create an app and a role for each department, and will define in
form-builder-permissions.xmlthat form authors can only access forms of a given app of they have the corresponding role; say, they can only access forms in the
social-servicesapp if they have the
social-servicesrole. For more on this, see how to define access control to specific apps/forms in Form Builder.
- Access control to published forms is a new feature of the upcoming Orbeon Forms 4.0, but you can already give it a try today using a nightly build. With this new feature, you can, as a form author, define who can access the form you’re editing right from Form Builder. You do so through a dialog, as shown in the screenshot below. For more on this, see how to define access control for deployed forms with Orbeon Forms 4.0.