Orbeon Forms 4.6 improves the performance and usability of the Form Runner Home page.
As a reminder, the Form Runner home page has two purposes:
- For regular users, it is a start page which lists the forms available to the user and allows navigation to the Summary or New page.
- For administrators, it provides a range of administrative functions such as publish/unpublish, moving forms to a remote server, and more.
Recently, while using the Home Page with databases containing large numbers of published forms, we noticed performance issues, especially when loading form definition metadata from both a local and a remote server. So we fixed the following for Orbeon Forms 4.6:
- We made joining local and remote form metadata much faster.
- We addressed a few inefficiencies common to all databases.
- We made retrieval of form metadata much faster with the Oracle database (which should help with other relational databases as well).
- We added paged navigation to make the HTML page smaller and faster.
With these changes, the Home page shows good responsiveness even with hundreds or a few thousands of published form definitions!