Major features and enhancements
New indexes for relational database performance
If you're using a relational database and rely on summary pages or the search API, this change will drastically improve the performance of those operations. If you're using a relational database and are upgrading to Orbeon Forms 2016.2, you should pay particular attention to this change, as it requires that you run a new reindexing operation as part of the upgrade procedure, and thus we recommend you proceed with the upgrade with special care, and make sure to read:
- the blog post we published on the new index tables for relational databases introduced in Orbeon Forms 2016.2, to understand what the changes entail,
- and the section of the documentation on how to reindex your Orbeon Forms database when upgrading to 2016.2.
Form Options in Form Builder
Form Builder's Form Settings dialog now features a new Form Options tab, with the following options:
- Whether the form is a singleton form. This option existed in previous versions under General Settings. (doc)
- Whether the form uses the Wizard View. By default, the published form uses the configuration set via properties. (doc)
- Appearance of control labels and control hints. The main use is to specify that text input fields hints appear as inline placeholders. By default, the published form uses the configuration set via properties. (doc)
We expect that further form options will be added in the future.
Ability to send binary PDF to services
This feature has been requested often, and we are happy to include it in Orbeon Forms 2016.2! You can now specify that your submit or send action (or in fact any process) sends the form in PDF format to an HTTP endpoint. The same goes for sending a TIFF binary. For details, see the blog post and documentation.
Form Runner function library
Form Runner now exposes a documented function library with easy to use functions. As of Orbeon Forms 2016.2, the library contains 28 functions, and we plan to add more in the future. For more details, see the blog post and documentation.
Accessibility / HTML layout
We have changed the layout of grids to no longer use HTML tables when possible. In addition, we have also removed the use of HTML tables in the error summary component. For more details, see the blog post and documentation on the new HTML layout of grids.
The wizard view features several enhancements:
- We introduce a new option to show a separate table of contents instead of always showing it to the left of the content.
- You can enable subsection navigation, which shows one nested subsection at a time instead of showing all subsections together.
- The wizard now shows improved status options for each section.
You can now control the visibility of buttons, and whether they appear disabled or not, using XPath expressions. For more details, see the documentation.
Other features and enhancements
- Repeated grid/section: option to always insert at end (#2747)
- Form Metadata API returns latest updated version instead of latest version (#2780)
- Form Metadata API: option to return all non-deleted form versions (#2781)
- Flat view support for SQL Server (#2790)
- Proxy portlet: property to disable namespace mapping (#2764)
Other platform enhancements
Other new features and bug-fixesIncluding the major features and enhancements above, we closed over 70 issues since Orbeon Forms 2016.1.
InternationalizationSee Localizing Orbeon Forms for the latest localization support. Localization depends on volunteers, so please let us know if you want to help!
- Form Builder (creating forms)
- Chrome 52 (latest stable version)
- Firefox 48 (latest stable version) and the current Firefox ESR
- IE 11 or Edge
- Safari 8 or 9
- Form Runner (accessing form)
- All browsers supported by Form Builder (see above)
- IE8, IE9 and IE10
- Safari Mobile on iOS 7, iOS 8 and iOS 9
- Chrome for Android (stable channel)
The relational database schema contains changes in this version. Please refer to the notes at the beginning of this post on "New indexes for relational database performance".
Deprecations and removals
- The oxf:from-xls-converter processor is deprecated and will be removed in a subsequent release.
- The deprecated XMLDB processors are removed.
- The oxf.fr.detail.hints.inline property is deprecated. Use oxf.fr.detail.hint.appearance instead. (doc)
- xforms-disable-hint-as-tooltip is deprecated. Use oxf.fr.detail.hint.appearance instead. (doc)